July 26, 2011

On the Table: Pastina and Roasted Tomato and Squash Salad

I decided to get started using some of my vacation inspiration, and I figured the easiest to implement was tomatoes roasted with rosemary.  I also had some extra pastina that I had made while preparing Triple Peas the other day, so I decided to make a pasta salad-type dish with roasted vegetables.  It was fabulous (and beautiful)!  I made it as a main dish, but it would be a fantastic side dish as well - or think about bringing it to your next potlock!  To prepare:

Cook a third of a pound of pastina according to package directions.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Cut up one medium-sized yellow squash into small pieces.  I cut the squash in half lengthwise, then cut each half into four long pieces, then cut the long pieces into small pieces.  You could also cut the cherry tomatoes in half (half a pint), though I left them whole.



Put the squash pieces and the tomatoes in a baking dish.  Coat the vegetables with canola oil, salt and freshly ground black pepper, and rosemary.  If you want, you can toss the vegetables with the oil and seasonings in a bowl first and then put them in the baking dish, but I prefer to just do it all in the pan and use my hands to toss everything (one less bowl to wash!).


Cook in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes, or until the squash is cooked through.

While the vegetables are cooking, prepare the dressing.  Whisk together 1.5 tablespoons of honey, 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar, half a teaspoon of dijon mustard, and a pinch of salt.  Slowly whisk in canola oil until the dressing reaches the consistency of thin caramel.


When the vegetables are finished cooking, put them in a large mixing bowl.


When the pastina is done cooking, drain it and put it into the bowl as well (or, if you're using leftover pastina from an earlier meal, just dump it in).  Slowly pour the dressing over the salad, stirring well to thoroughly combine.
 

I tried my salad topped with some chiffonaded mint, but I think the salad was actually better on its own. 


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment