July 28, 2011

On the Table: Melon, Bacon and Cheese Plate

I found this little guy at the farmers' market this week.


It's a butterscotch melon!  I had never heard of it before, so of course I needed to get one to try.  It looks like a honeydew on the outside and a cantaloupe on the inside.  It tastes a lot like cantaloupe.




I made a delicious little appetizer with melon, bacon, and baby swiss cheese (raw milk, of course!).


Tell me this doesn't look delicious.  Restaurant-ready, even.


Of course, you could also use prosciutto, but I had bacon in the fridge so I used that.  Plus, you could use a different cheese.  I actually think some nice sharp parmesan would be fantastic.  And cantaloupe would work, if you can't find the butterscotch melon.  But I say, if you can find an unusual variety, why not use that?!

On a different note, I think everybody should check out this article in the New York Times, about how to use ALL parts of a plant.  There are so many plant parts that get thrown away, but that could be turned into delicious treats!

No comments:

Post a Comment