July 29, 2011

On the Table: Cabbage and Bacon

Do you know how to make something extremely healthy less healthy (but delicious)?  BACON!  I wanted to make cabbage the other night and I saw that I had some bacon in the fridge (when did bacon become a kitchen staple?  I don't know, but I seem to have it around a lot), so I figured why not put them together?  They were delicious, naturally.  To prepare:

Cook six slices of bacon in a large skillet.  Start with a cold pan and cook over medium heat, so as to maximize rendering of the fat.


When the bacon is nice and crispy, remove it from the pan and place it on a paper-towel-lined plate.  Leave the bacon fat in the pan.

Finely slice half a head of cabbage.  Depending on how big it is, I would cut the cabbage half into three or four big chunks, and then slice it (so you don't get super long strips - you want bite-sized!).



Make sure the bacon fat in the pan is nice and hot, and toss in the cabbage.  Cook it, stirring often, until the cabbage is tender.  If some of the pieces start to brown, even better.


Add into the pan the following: 1/4 of a cup of apple cider vinegar, salt and freshly ground black pepper, and red pepper flakes (just a pinch if you want less spice, or more if you like it hot!).  Stir well to combine.  Cook for a few minutes, until most of the liquid has evaporated. 


In the meantime, dice up the bacon.  I cut each piece in half lengthwise, then cut it into small pieces.  Toss most of the bacon with the cabbage (about 5 slices worth), and save a little bit for topping the dish.


I served the cabbage over brown rice, but it would also be great on its own.  Serve topped with the remaining bacon pieces.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment