July 22, 2011

I'm Back!

I am back!  Well, physically I am back.  Mentally, I am still here:


Bermuda!  It was awesome!!  Unfortunately, I did not take any food pictures while I was there, though I did eat very well.  Any time I travel, I try to eat local specialties, and in Bermuda, that means lots of fish.  They have a fish stew that I think showed up on the menu at every restaurant at which we ate.  The dishes were slightly different at different places, but they were always full of fish and finished with rum and sherry pepper (poured tableside).  I am not a huge fan of sherry, but the sherry pepper was delicious and added a nice punch of heat.  I am thinking there will be some experimentation in my future. 

I guess I did get a food shot:


This stuff is delicious!  It's soda, not beer per say (like root beer), and I will be keeping an eyes out to see if I can find any around here.  I have had a dark and stormy (rum + ginger beer) at home, but it was nothing compared to the version I had in Bermuda, and I suspect that quality ginger beer makes a key difference (and the soda was delicious on its own).

Though it's not related to anything I ate, I found the story of these little guys adorable:


They are called honeymoon pigs, and they are created at the Dockyard Glassworks.  Legend has it that the first explorer to land in Bermuda had two pigs sent ashore and left on the island, so that if later travellers came to / shipwrecked on the island, they would have a source of meat available.  Hence, those two pigs were the first "honeymooners" on the island!  Apparently they reproduced over the years and later settlers hunted them, and the meat was salted and sent to the settlers in Virginia.  Great story, right?  And I love the Virginia connection!

The food really was fantastic, and I was particularly excited to come across some really unique flavor pairings.  They will be detailed in upcoming posts!  I will leave you with some incredible scenery from the island (beautiful!!).


More food stories (and experimentation at home!) to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment