July 7, 2011

On the Table: Cincinnati Chili

What is the difference between chili and spaghetti sauce, really?  The basic ingredients - tomatoes, onion, sometimes meat - are the same.  I would say the difference usually comes down to the seasoning.  In the case of chili, the spices are usually chilis, chili powder, sometimes vegetables, spicy components; for spaghetti sauce, the spices are usually garlic, oregano, basil, sometimes vegetables, herbal components. 

In the case of Cincinnati chili (also known as chili mac), the difference between chili and spaghetti sauce really disappears, because the dish is all about chili TOGETHER with spaghetti!

When I made chili the other day, I put some cinnamon in it because I really love that sweet/spicy hint in chili.  For Cincinnati chili, the spice components are traditionally more pronounced, so when I reheated the chili, I added an extra dash of cinnamon, along with some ground cloves.

While the chili was reheating, I cooked some spaghetti.

Then came the fun part: assembling!

First, chili...


...then spaghetti...


...then shredded cheddar cheese...


...and finally, some diced onion!  (The onion is definitely optional, but I really like how the bite of raw onion complements the spicy notes in the chili.)


I wholeheartedly embrace the idea of making one big batch of food over the weekend and then repurposing it for multiple meals during the week (chili dog, chili and sour cream, Cincinnati chili).  However, I promise I am done with chili posts for a while!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment