July 13, 2011

In the Neighborhood: Tapas and Paella Around the City

Yesterday was a very Jaleo day.  They did a demonstration (and tasting!) at the farmers' market, and then our apartment complex had a get together at the Crystal City location.  The restaurant (along with Chef Andres' other restaurants) has been getting great publicity since Chef Jose Andres was just named Outstanding Chef of the Year by the James Beard Foundation.

I realize that this is almost blasphemous to even think around here, but I am somewhat ambivalent about the food at Jaleo.  On one hand, the paella is phenomenal.  I tried a veggie and olive version at the farmers' market and a chicken and mushroom version at the party, and both were unbelievable.  THAT is something I could eat every day.  In terms of the tapas, however, I just wasn't blown away.  It pains me to say it, because I really WANT to love everything there, but sadly it's true.  There were some really yummy items - fantastic chicken croquettas, beautiful shrimp sauteed with garlic, chorizo wrapped in a fried slice of potato - but then there were some options that produced a really meh reaction - an egg and potato omelette, a salad with beets and pistachios, endive leaves filled with goat cheese, oranges, and almonds.

I have eaten at both the Chinatown and Crystal City locations on previous occassions, and sadly I have had the same reaction in the past.  I am definitely NOT trying to insinuate that the food is bad.  I just don't think it lives up to all the hype.  With any given dish, it seems you've got equal chances of getting a great burst of flavor or getting something fairly generic.  Now, it does help that if you are ordering tapas, the volume of food you order will help ensure you get SOMETHING unique and delicious.

If you are looking for a great experience, Jaleo definitely delivers on that account (as do all of Jose Andres' restaurants at which I have eaten).  Service is incredibly friendly, and the ambiance is great (the Crystal City location seems to be less crowded than the spot in Chinatown).  It is definitely a great location to grab a drink and a bite with some friends.  But I would go with the paella for a guaranteed culinary delight.

No comments:

Post a Comment