July 16, 2011

On the Table: Cabbage and Peach Saute

I had half a head of green cabbage in the refrigerator that I needed to use, and I ALSO had some peaches that were perfectly ripe.  I had been thinking I would make cole slaw or perhaps stir fried cabbage with the cabbage and, well, eat the peaches.  But then I got to thinking.  Cabbage goes great with vinegar, and peaches and balsamic vinegar is a great pairing, so why not combine cabbage and peaches and balsamic vinegar all together?  To be honest, I had a few doubts about how this dish would turn out, but in the end it was fantastic!  To prepare:

I served the dish over rice, so make some rice while preparing the saute.

Thinly slice (but don't shred) half a head of green cabbage.



Dice up two ripe medium-sized peaches.



Put a large skillet over medium heat.  Thinly coat the bottom of the pan with canola oil.  When the oil gets hot, add in the cabbage.  Cook, stirring often, until the cabbage gets tender.  If some pieces get brown around the edges, even better!


Stir in 1/8 of a cup of balsamic vinegar, 2 tablespoons of sweet mango chutney, and a dash of salt.  Stir well to combine.


Add in the peaches.


Stir well to combine and cook until the peaches are heated through.


Serve over rice, and topped with another dollop of sweet mango chutney.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment