July 9, 2011

On the Salad: TBM

I got some absolutely delicious, juicy tomatoes this week, and I think I have found my favorite (culinary) part of summer!  I have mainly been eating them raw, just sliced with some salt and freshly ground black pepper.


Then I got to thinking that, you know, bacon makes everything better, so maybe I would make a BLT. 

I'll be honest though, the L in BLT has never been particularly appealing to me.  I mean, in general I love lettuce (particularly cooked lettuce!), but just slapping a piece onto an otherwise perfectly good sandwich just doesn't do it for me.  So, I was down to a BT. 

Now, even though I think almost every BLT (or BT) ever made has had mayonnaise in it, somehow there never seems to be an M in the name.  I am changing that.  I don't eat most commercial mayonnaise (I'll spare you the details...), but I do make a pretty mean fresh one.  And the tangy richness is absolutely perfect with tomatoes and bacon.  A TBM it is!


Fresh mayonnaise!  I'll put up step-by-step instructions one of these days, but the general idea is that you whisk together an egg white, some salt, some lemon juice, maybe some mustard, and then you SLOWLY, drop-by-drop, whisk in oil (I used canola and just a tiny bit of olive).  Then just taste and adjust the seasoning and you're ready to go!


Fresh toast!  All sandwiches are better on toast.



Mayo and tomato...


...and bacon!


A TBM.  Yum!

If you really want something green with your TBM, I would suggest serving it with cabbage salad!


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment