May 29, 2011

On the Table: Summer Chicken Salad

There is really nothing like a good chicken salad, and for Memorial Day weekend, I decided to try a nice summer version.  I have some hesitations about a lot of chicken salads because often they are loaded with mayonnaise.  However, I find that either using an alternative binder or doing half mayo and half something else (and not going too heavy on the liquid) makes all the difference.  In this case, I used half mayo and half sour cream, but creme fraiche would also be fantastic.  To summer things up, I decided to use Old Bay as the seasoning - what could be better??  To make things really easy, I used a rotisserie chicken.  I love the flexibility they provide - one chicken can easily make for two or three days worth of meals.  If you don't want to use a prepared chicken, you could always poach or roast a chicken on your own. 

The chicken salad turned out absolutely fabulously, and I think the real highlight was eating it on a nice toasted hot dog bun - very fitting for Memorial Day!  To prepare the salad:

Shred up about 2.5 cups of chicken (with the chicken I used, that was equivalent to a breast and a wing).

Finely slice the tops of two spring onions (you could also use chives, but I had a bunch of spring onions on hand).



In a mixing bowl, stir together 1/4 of a cup of mayonnaise, 1/4 of a cup of sour cream, and a teaspoon of Old Bay.  Stir in the chicken, the onion tops, and 1/4 of a cup of raisins.  Mix well to combine and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.


Serve alone, or, for a special treat, on a toasted hot dog bun!


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment