May 23, 2011

On the Table: Peanut Butter Lettuce (try it, you'll like it!)

I know the name sounds weird, but this dish really was delicious.  I had a head of iceberg lettuce on hand, and I wanted to do something a little more interesting than just make a salad.  I decided to experiment with cooking it.  Iceberg lettuce is not really sturdy enough to stand up to a long braising, which is how I often prepare other greens, so I decided to quickly saute it.  An Asian-inspired sauce seemed like the perfect compliment - and it was!  To prepare:

Rinse half a head of iceberg lettuce and remove any leaves that don't look very nice.  Thinly slice the lettuce. 

In a small bowl, thoroughly combine 2 tablespoons of soy sauce (I used the low sodium kind), 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon of sriracha, 1 tablespoon of honey, and 1 tablespoon of peanut butter.

Put a saute pan over medium heat, and thinly coat the bottom of the pan with peanut oil.  When the oil gets hot, add the sliced lettuce to the pan.  Cook, stirring often, until the lettuce starts to wilt.  Add the sauce to the pan and stir to thoroughly coat the lettuce.  Taste and adjust seasoning, and cook for another minute to ensure the whole mixture is heated through.

I didn't have any peanuts on hand, but this dish would be great topped with peanuts.  It also would be delicious served over rice, or you can just eat the leftover sauce with a spoon, which is what I did :)


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment