May 19, 2011

Nonstick Pans Finally Make it Into My Kitchen

So...I finally got a nonstick pan last weekend.  In fact, I got two (they came in a combo pack). 

I am very hesitant about nonstick.  You can't use metal utensils with them; you have to be very careful about cleaning them; you have to throw them away when they get scratches; they generally shouldn't be used at very high temperatures; and the health impacts of the nonstick coatings are still not clear.  I am very content sticking to stainless steel, and I had put off getting a nonstick pan for a loooong time.  The only reason I ever had a second thought about this matter is that cooking eggs is infinitely easier in a nonstick pan.  In fact, the only time we used nonstick pans in culinary school was for making eggs. 

Yes, a very well-maintained cast iron pan can do the trick (allegedly - I've never tried it, but nonstick pans haven't been around forever), and a stainless steel pan with enough fat in it might suffice, but the easiest way to make relatively painless eggs is with a nonstick pan. 

I did my research, including checking out the America's Test Kitchen review of inexpensive nonstick skillets (the video is very informative and definitely worth a watch), and I almost bought a pan several months ago.  Then, Macy's had a fantastic special on these pans last weekend, and I took the plunge:


I used the 8 inch pan to make omelets, and I am pretty satisfied with the purchase.  The pan didn't seem to heat perfectly evenly, but for the super good price, I'm not complaining.  Let's hope this result was not just beginner's luck!


Almost no color and almost no wrinkles, but the folding did prove to be a bit of a challenge.  I guess I'll just have to keep practicing!

No comments:

Post a Comment