May 11, 2011

On the Table: Broccoli Salad

Today I am sharing my new favorite food...broccoli salad!  It might sound a little funny, but give it a try and I guarantee you will like it!  I got this recipe from my grandmother and made a few minor changes (for one, I use regular granulated sugar, while she uses stevia - if you are trying to cut down on sugar, you can definitely go with a sugar alternative - it tastes just as good).  The recipe is really easy to make, and it can be refrigerated for several days (although I don't think it would make it that long in my house).  Here goes:

Cut one large bunch of broccoli (about 3 BIG stems) or two smaller bunches into small florets.  The florets should be really itty-bitty tiny.  Finely dice a small red onion.  Put the broccoli, onion, and about 1/4 of a cup of chopped walnuts into a big mixing bowl.  In a smaller bowl, whisk together half a cup of mayonnaise, 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar, 2 teaspoons of granulated sugar, and salt and white pepper to taste.  Pour the dressing over the broccoli mixture, and fold the ingredients together (use a spatula or wooden spoon to gently mix the ingredients - you don't want to crush the broccoli).  Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour, or longer if possible, to allow the flavors to meld.


Enjoy!

One more thought...You will be left will a bunch of broccoli stems once you have picked off the florets, but don't just throw them in the garbage!  I have a pretty extensive collection of broccoli stems in my refrigerator at this point (I have made two big batches of this salad in the past week), and I am going to be doing some experimenting with them.  The results will be posted soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment