May 13, 2011

On the Table: Delicious Cheddar (and Pasta)

Sorry folks, apparently Blogger has been having some problems for the past few days :(  I wrote a post yesterday but it did not actually get posted...so I am going to attempt to re-create it now!

Although I am usually hesitant to discuss specific products (I am really a pragmatist in the kitchen, and I firmly believe in working with what you have on hand...if your preference is for products that are organic, free-range, etc., then by all means use those, but rarely would I say they are required), I have a current culinary love that is, well, a specific product.  It is this cheese:



It is delicious!  And the label does not lie - it is SMOKEY cheddar!  Smokey like sitting next to a campfire - I love it!  Admittedly, the smokey flavor was a little overwhelming at first, so I could only eat it in little bites.  Over the course of a few days, however (and I'm not sure whether my taste buds adapted or the cheese actually mellowed), I couldn't get enough!

I found this cheese at the farmer's market.  Raw milk cheese is somewhat controversial (because it is made from unpasteurized milk) and can be hard to find.  This producer has a plain cheddar that I am definitely planning to try next time I make it over to the farmer's market.  If you are interested in learning more about raw milk cheese, you should check out the Raw Milk Cheesemakers' Association.

After I had eaten the cheese plain and on crackers, I decided to try cooking with it, which turned out fabulously!  I just sauteed about four ounces of sliced mushrooms, added in half a pound of frozen peas, a few tablespoons of  milk, and about half a cup of the cheese (finely diced), and cooked, stirring often, until all the ingredients were heated through and the cheese had melted.  I tossed it with cooked pasta, using just a bit of the pasta water to thin out the sauce, and added in some parmesan cheese.

Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment