May 3, 2011

On the Table: Mushroom Pasta

The other night, I made a great dinner that used up some leftover ingredients in the fridge.  I usually look to pasta when I need to use up a hodgepodge of ingredients, and it did not let me down this time! 

Put on a large pot of salted water for the pasta and prepare half a pound of pasta (I used penne) according to the package's directions.  In the meantime, prepare the sauce (it's really more of a topping...it's not very sauce-y).

Thinly slice half a white onion and half a pound of mushrooms (I used baby portobellos).  Put a large skillet over medium heat and add canola oil to coat the bottom of the skillet.  When the oil gets hot, add in the onions.  When the onions start to get translucent, add the mushrooms. 


Cook for a few minutes (until the mushrooms smell really nice), then add about a cup and a half of chicken stock, a dash of salt, and a few dashes of dried thyme, celery seed, and oregano to the pan.  Cook, stirring often, until the chicken stock has evaporated.  The chicken stock adds a great richness to the mushrooms.  Adjust seasoning to taste.


Serve over the pasta. 


I topped mine with ricotta and parmesan cheese, which was delicious (but sadly did not make it into the picture)!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment