May 22, 2011

In the Neighborhood: American Bistro in Cleveland Park

I never had the opportunity to visit Ardeo or Bardeo in their previous incarnations, but I definitely liked what I saw with the new (combined) Ardeo + Bardeo!  The upstairs patio is definitely the way to go if the weather is nice, but the interior space is beautiful (though a little dark).  The restaurant is pretty small and tables are close together, so be prepared that you might be getting cozy with your neighbors.

Considering that Bardeo used to be a devoted wine bar, I was expecting a decent wine list, and the list definitely did not disappoint.  No phone books here, though - the list is pretty compact, but provides a good selection.  There are plenty of wines available by the glass, and the bottle prices are very reasonable, so it is definitely a good option for a wine-happy dinner!

As for the food, everything was very fresh, and preparations were simple.  The menu is all over the place - cheeses, charcuterie, pastas, fish, even a burger thrown in there - which can be a blessing (there's something for everyone!) or a curse (it's pretty hard to masterfully cover all those different categories).  I didn't hear any complaints from my dining companions, but we were pretty focused on the pasta and vegetable selections, so I can't attest that all the bases are really covered.  The crispy brussels sprouts were FABULOUS.  They are paired with apricots, pistachios, and yogurt and were really out of this world.  I will definitely be doing some experimenting with this combination at home.  I also had the agnolotti with rabbit bolognese.  The sauce was delicious and the carrot puree was a really unexpected but delightful accompaniment.  However, the pasta itself was a bit thick for my taste, though it was well cooked.  Also, agnolotti are "pillow" pasta, but what I found on my plate looked more like bolster pillows than throw pillows.  Normally I don't get too hung up on doing things a specific way with food BUT in this case, if the pasta is so big that you have to cut it, all the filling comes out!  I ended up cutting each piece of pasta into thirds, and the middle had filling squirting out of it, while the ends were mostly pasta.  I am probably just being picky - it still tasted good!

Service was really fantastic - attentive but not overbearing, and all the staff were incredibly friendly.  I haven't spent a huge amount of time in Cleveland Park, but next time I find myself in the neighborhood, Ardeo + Bardeo will definitely be on my radar for a good meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment