August 3, 2011

On the Table: Lambkin

I am becoming slightly obsessed with heirloom melons recently.  After getting an almost entirely tasteless cantaloupe at the grocery store the other day (even though it smelled ripe! such a shame), I am renewed in my committment to buy produce at the farmers' market, and to try out unusual varieties.  I loved the butterscotch melon the other day, and yesterday I found a lambkin at the market.


It is incredibly fragrant - even before I cut it, it made the whole apartment small like melon.  The flesh is white (or nearly so - it has a slightly green tinge), which is somewhat unusual, but the flavor is delicious.  It is very sweet, and slightly herbaceous.


I would definitely consider getting another lambkin in the future, and I am excited to try any other heirloom melons that become available at the farmers' market.  I would guess there might be some varieties available at grocery stores like Whole Foods and Wegman's, though I have not checked.  For many unusual types of produce (and any food, really), it is totally up the consumer to create demand for the product.  Commercial produce is bred to emphasize a variety of traits, including uniformity and durability, and species that can be reliably grown and shipped dominate the market - diversity tends not to be emphasized.  The huge variety of species available in the past is being lost, as a few mainstream varieties dominate the market.  It is a huge shame, however, since the different varieties all have something unique to offer.  I'm going to climb down off my soapbox now, but I highly recommend you seek out these different varieties and give them a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment