August 12, 2011

Plum Taste Test!

I got a variety pack of plums at the farmers' market this week, which made me super excited - I love having options!  I figured it would also be a perfect opportunity to do a little taste test.


The blue ones are Italian Blue plums, the red ones are Satsuma plums (these are "regular" plums - the kind you probably find at the grocery store), and I think the yellow ones are Yellowgage plums, though I'm not positive about that.  I was surprised by how very different they all were, in terms of looks, texture, and taste.


The Italian Blue were nice and firm, while the Satsuma and Yellowgage were pretty soft and really clung to their pits!  The Satsuma were really juicy - they would be perfect for any preparation in which you want a nice rich red plummy color.

In terms of taste, the Italian Blue were tart, with slightly herbal notes.  The Satsuma were sweet and tasted slightly like peaches; they have the plum flavor to which most of use are accustomed.  The Yellowgage had a melon-y flavor, with a tartness at the end.  The Italian blue had nice firm flesh and skin; the Satsuma had the best texture (in my opinion) - a nice balance of soft flesh and slightly firm skin; and the Yellowgage had a soft interior paired with a relatively tough skin, which I did not think were well balanced for eating plain (though if you removed the skin, the flesh would be great in cooked applications).

Each of these varieties would brings its own strengths to a dish, or they could be combined to balance a preparations such as a jam or tart.  I recommend trying them all (and more!) so you can find your favorite!

No comments:

Post a Comment