August 2, 2011

On the Table: Tuna Sashimi

The grocery store had an unbelievable sale on wild caught, sashimi-grade tuna yesterday, so I decided it was time to make sashimi.  It was super easy and delicious!

I used Alton Brown's recipe for sushi rice, although I made the rice in a rice cooker, rather than on the stovetop.  (Whichever way you do it, make sure you rinse the rice really well first!)  I noticed that when the rice cooker indicated that the rice was done, it was still really wet looking (I used AB's ratio of two (rice cooker) cups of rice to two (actual) cups of water, rather than the ratio listed in my rice cooker's handbook, and that may have been part of the reason it was still wet), but I put the lid back on and let it sit for a few minutes, and the liquid was fully absorbed within a few minutes.  Then all I did was put the rice in a glass mixing bowl and stir in two tablespoons of sugar, one tablespoon of salt (next time, I think I would cut down the salt a bit), and two tablespoons of rice vinegar.  Stir it really well to get all the rice coated and to facilitate cooling of the rice. 


The rice was so good, I literally ate the leftovers with a spoon.

The real star of the show, however, is the fish!  Doesn't it look beautiful?


For sashimi, you really just need to cut the fish into thin, bite-sized pieces.  I found it most effective to cut across the grain, just like with meat.


To assemble the sashimi, all you need to do is shape the rice and top it with the tuna.  I am not sure how it is technically supposed to be done, but I shaped the rice the same way I would make quenelles.  All you need to do is use two spoons to compress the rice into an oval shape.  Put a lump of rice on one spoon, then press and roll it into the other spoon.  Repeat until you have the shape you want.



All you really need to do is lay a slice of the tuna on top of each ball of rice, but if you really want a fantastic piece of sashimi, put a thin layer of wasabi between the rice and the fish.  I used wasabi from a tube, though I prefer the powdered kind that you mix with water (I think it has a better flavor, but I couldn't find it at the store).


Serve with soy sauce (and more wasabi, if desired).


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment