August 19, 2011

On the Table: Ratatouille

I picked up some unbelievable produce at the farmers' market on Tuesday, and I wanted to make a dish that would really highlight it.  I figured ratatouille was a perfect option - loaded with vegetables (and a fruit!).  I used eggplant, zucchini (I only used half because the zucchini was ginormous), tomato, onion (not from the farmers' market, sadly), and garlic (also not from the market...and not pictured).


To prepare the ratatouille:

Dice up the onion, and cut the eggplant and zucchini into half inch pieces.  Mince two cloves of garlic.  I figured I could cut up the tomato while the veggies were cooking.


Put a large skillet over medium heat.  Thinly coat the bottom of the pan with canola oil.  When the oil gets hot, add in the onions.  Cook, stirring often, until the onions get translucent.  Add in the garlic and cook for another minute.


Add in the eggplant and zucchini.  Cook for a few more minutes, until the vegetables are just starting to cook. 


While the vegetables are cooking, dice up the tomato.


Add the tomatoes to the pan.


Also add to the pan: salt and freshly ground black pepper, thyme, bay leaves, and basil.  I used dried herbs (about 1/8 of a teaspoon of each), though you could definitely use fresh if you have them on hand.  If you use a whole dried bay leaf, be sure to remove it before serving the ratatouille!


Cook for 15-20 more minutes (stirring occassionally), until all the vegetables are fully cooked.


I served it with rice as an entree, but you could also use it as a side dish.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment