June 27, 2011

On the Table: Strawberry/Blueberry/Mint Sauce

Last Sunday, I made some highly unattractive blueberry pancakes (they tasted good, but I had some issues with sticking pancakes and bursting blueberries).  Yesterday I decided to make pancakes again (I guess Sunday is turning into pancake day!), but I figured I would put the fruit on top rather than into the pancakes.  I made a strawberry/blueberry/mint sauce that was delicious, and was ready in the time it took to make the pancakes!  To prepare:

Wash 1/3 of a pint of blueberries and a few large strawberries.  Cut up the strawberries (into about 1/8ths).  Wash a small handful of mint leaves and thinly slice them. 


Put everything into a small saucepot.


Cook, stirring occassionally, over low heat while you make pancakes (15-30 minutes).


And that's it!  Easy, right?



The sauce was delicious on its own - it would also be fantastic in oatmeal or over ice cream!  If you are making the sauce with berries that are not perfectly ripe, you may need to add in a little bit of sugar while the fruit it cooking (or just get your fill at this time of year, when the fruit is perfect!).

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment