June 23, 2011

On the Table: More Radish Apps - This Time with the Greens!

My love affair with these radish and scallion butter apps continues.  Really - crunchy toast, soft sweet oniony herby butter, biting peppery radishes...what could be better??  Well, I started making some for a little snack the other day, and the nice green radish tops caught my eye.


I wanted to try to use them somehow, so I figured for a first little experiment, I would try sauteeing them.  I used the scallion butter, which lent the radish tops a fantastic flavor.  The sauteed tops were vaguely reminiscent of broccoli rabe (which I love).  They would be a great as a side dish, or they could even be incorporated into pasta - they could pretty much be used anywhere you would use other sauteed greens, like spinach or kale.  However, I decided to eat them...on toast!

To prepare:

Put a nice slice of soft French bread into the toaster or toaster oven.  The topping will be done by the time the toast is!

Cut the tops off two radishes.


Cut each top into about four pieces (you want bite-sized pieces).

Put a small saute pan over medium heat.  When the pan gets hot, add in a hefty piece of scallion butter (about half a tablespoon).


When the butter melts, add in the cut greens.


Saute for just a few seconds, until the greens wilt.


Pour the greens (and the melted butter!) onto your toast.


You could also put a couple slices of radish on top.  The peppery radish provides a nice counterpoint to the buttery, savory greens.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment