June 16, 2011

On the Table: Radish and Scallion Butter Apps

I put the scallion butter I made yesterday to good use, along with some radishes and nice soft French bread.  I got the idea from Barefoot Contessa (you can see Ina Garten's version here).  Well, I picked up some radishes at the farmers' market this week,


and the combination did, in fact, turn out to be fabulous!  Radishes have a fairly peppery taste, and the scallions in the butter help mellow out the spice.  I used soft French bread


rather than a baguette, but I can imagine that baguette slices would be fantastic - you could make them into one or two bite appetizers.

The radishes I got were pretty long, so I cut them lengthwise (I didn't want to end up with millions of little radish dots - although radish polka dot bread would be pretty cute!).  I cut them really thin.  A mandoline would probably be perfect for this task, but I just used a knife (be careful!).


I cut the bread relatively thin and toasted it.  As soon as it came out of the oven, I topped it with a slice of scallion butter so the butter softened, then I topped the butter with a few slices of radish.  I tried a later piece with some freshly ground black pepper on top, and it was delicious (but VERY peppery!). 


As Ina Garten would say "How easy is that?" 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment