June 13, 2011

On the Table: Meatloaf Pasta

I had a hankering for meatloaf tonight, but I didn't feel like...well, making meatloaf.  I decided to do a deconstructed meatloaf, so I could get the meatloaf flavor without having to wait for the loaf to bake.  While I was making it, I decided it would be fantastic with pasta, so I decided to make some of that as well.  It was DELICIOUS!  To prepare:

Prepare half a pound of pasta (I used rotini).  In the meantime...

Finely dice half a white onion and half a green bell pepper (does this sound familiar?  repurposed from breakfast burrito leftovers!).


Put a large skillet over medium heat and thinly coat the bottom of the pan with canola oil.  When the oil get hot, add in the onions and peppers.  Cook, stirring often, until the onions and peppers start to get translucent. 


Add in a pound of ground chicken (or turkey or beef).  Break up the chicken with a spoon and cook, stirring often, until the chicken is cooked through.  While the chicken is cooking, add in a tablespoon of worcestershire sauce, one teaspoon of cumin, seven tablespoons of ketchup, 1 teaspoon of soy sauce, and a hearty dash of salt.  Stir well.  When the chicken is cooked, stir in one third of a cup of bread crumbs.


When the pasta is finished, add it into the cooked chicken mixture.  Pour in some pasta water to help smooth out the sauce.  I used about half a cup.  Turn off the heat and stir in one egg.





Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment