April 16, 2011

On the Table: Sour Cream Cabbage

Last night, I knew I wanted to make cabbage for dinner, but I figured cabbage alone was not really a meal, so I took the opportunity to do some more cleaning out of the cabinets.  I ended up with essentially a complete chicken or turkey dinner - but without the chicken or turkey; it included cabbage, cranberry sauce, and stuffing.  I wanted to do something a little different with the (green) cabbage, so I consulted a few cookbooks and came up with a fantastic variation on cooked cabbage.  The recipe for Cabbage in Sour Cream comes from The New York Times Cook Book - the original 1961 edition by Craig Claiborne.  I love cabbage and sour cream separately, and they work beautifully together!  I made a few alterations to the original recipe; here is what I did:

Remove any leaves from the outside of a head of green cabbage that have black spots or insect-bite holes.  Thinly slice the cabbage.  Put a large skillet over medium heat and coat the bottom of the skillet with canola oil.  Add in the cabbage and stir.  Add approximately 1/2 a cup of water to the skillet (you may need more, depending on the size of your pan - you want a small amount of water in the bottom of the pan to generate some steam).  Bring the water to a simmer, cover the pan, and turn down the heat.  Cook until the cabbage is very tender.  At the end of the cooking time, remove the cover from the pan to allow the water to evaporate.  Stir in the following: 1 tablespoon of white sugar; 1 tablespoon of honey; 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar; 1 cup of sour cream; a few dashes of nutmeg; and salt and white pepper to taste.  Lightly beat one egg and stir that into the pan as well.  Stir well so that all of the cabbage gets coated in the sauce.  Adjust seasoning.  Cook until the liquid has come just to a simmer, then remove from the heat and serve. 

(Sorry, I don't have a picture today - I guess I was really hungry!)

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Now that is original. A full turkey dinner without the turkey. And it started with cabbage and sour cream. Who-da-thunk. Jim Mac

    ReplyDelete