April 26, 2011

On the Table: Roasted Asparagus

Nothing says spring quite like asparagus!  It is one of my favorite vegetables, and its short season makes it especially precious.  I think the best preparations for asparagus (as for most foods) are the simplest, so its delicate flavor is not overwhelmed.  On Sunday, I made simple roasted asparagus that was absolutely delicious.  I just tossed the asparagus with olive oil, salt, and a healthy sprinkle of white pepper, and roasted it in a preheated 500 degree oven for about 10 minutes.  The white pepper is really the secret ingredient in this dish.  White pepper has a stronger, more pure flavor than black pepper, and it works beautifully with the asparagus.  I served the asparagus unadorned, but it would also be delicious with a squeeze of lemon or a splash of balsamic vinegar.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment