April 30, 2011

On the Table: Chocolate and Butterscotch Cookie Cake

In all the hype leading up to the royal wedding, I was most interested (of course) in the food.  I wanted to make something to celebrate the day, and I wanted it to have some kind of tie-in to the wedding.  Maybe a week ago, I heard that they were going to be serving a chocolate biscuit (i.e., cookie) cake as one of the desserts, and that sounded right up my ally.  I checked a few recipes online, all of which were pretty different, so I pretty much ended up going at it on my own, based on ingredients I had at home or could get very easily (it doesn't really get cooked, so there was much more freedom than there would have been if it were an actual baked cake).  I suspect my concoction bears little to no resemblance to the actual dish that was served.  It looks like something a five year old might come up with if left alone for too long with chocolate chips and graham crackers.  However, it is delicious!  To prepare:

In a double boiler over medium heat, combine the following: 1/2 of a cup of milk; 2 tablespoons of dark corn syrup; 1/2 of a stick of butter; and one 12 ounce bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips.  Stir constantly until the chocolate has melted and all of the ingredients are thoroughly combined.  Break up about 8 ounces of graham crackers into little pieces (bite-sized pieces, not crumbs) and stir them into the chocolate mixtures.  Stir in 1 teaspoon of vanilla and remove from heat.  Spray a pie plate with nonstick spray, and pour the mixture into the plate.  Refrigerate for at least several hours (I refrigerated it overnight), until the mixture is set.


Once the cake has set, prepare the topping.  Put about 4 ounces of butterscotch chips in a microwaveable bowl.  Microwave in 30 second increments, stirring thoroughly after each heating, until the chips have melted (about 1.5 - 2 minutes total).  Pour the melted butterscotch over the cake and spread it around with a spoon.


Return the cake to the refrigerator for a few more hours, until the top has set.  You may want to let the cake sit at room temperature for a few minutes before serving to make it easier to cut.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment