March 6, 2011

"Unusual"...but Excellent

For all the blossoming adventurous eaters (and I am one!), the “Unusual” tasting menu at Galileo III provides a perfect opportunity to indulge your wild side.  I am an unabashed fan of sweetbreads; however, some of the other items, like LAMB BRAINS, tongue, or tripe, probably would not be at the top of my ordering list at just any restaurant.  Given Chef Donna’s culinary reputation (I still miss Bebo!), I figured that G-3 (as his wife, Nancy Sabbagh, referred to it – more on that later) would be as good a place as any to try these items.  The veal feet were good – they probably could have been braised a little longer, as some pieces were still tough (but really, they’re FEET!  One would hope they could hold up to some abuse) – but I was pleasantly surprised.  The lamb tongue was EXCELLENT (very meaty), as were the accompaniments, especially the greens .  The lamb brain was inside ravioli along with chicken and prosciutto, so I’ll be honest, I couldn’t exactly identify the brain amongst the rest of the filling, but I do think there was an unexpected texture to the filling that I am attributing (in my mind (!!)) to the brain – overall, an excellent dish.  As previously mentioned, I love veal sweetbreads, this dish was no different – the potato crust was a nice touch, and the apples were excellent.  The last savory dish, honeycomb tripe, was the only one that took some getting-used-to.  I was not totally sold on the first bite – I can only describe it as producing a weird sensation in my nasal passages, which I assume is some combination of taste and smell.  It grew on me as I kept eating it, though.  I won’t say I’m a tripe convert, but I did manage to finish the entire plate.
I was tempted to ask during dinner how many people order the Unusual menu, as the waiter seemed VERY interested in how I liked everything (not so much for my dining partner – he ordered the pasta tasting menu.  DELICIOUS, but apparently not as…well…unusual).  Service was very attentive – someone came over to explain each course, which was nice (especially for people who don’t memorize the menu in advance…which would not be me, but it was still appreciated) – but not rushed.  Chef Donna’s wife, Ms. Sabbagh, circulated through the dining room and was very friendly and welcoming.  The open kitchen is FANTASTIC if you really want to watch your food being made and/or observe the kitchen dynamics. 
If you want a fairly un-risky adventurous food outing, this might be the menu for you.  At $55, the menu isn’t cheap (portions are legitimate tasting sizes – i.e., small), but pretty reasonable for a six course meal.  The meal also includes your choice of dessert  – we got the olive oil cake and gianduja semi freddo, which were both delicious.  Oh, and I forgot to mention the spread that comes with the bread basket – a ricotta-basil-herb mixture that is un.be.lievable.  Next time I see any of these “unusuals” on another menu, maybe I will be more inclined to give them a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment