September 22, 2011

On the Table: Zucchini, Tomato, and Rice Salad

The oven dried tomatoes I made the other day were delicious, and perfect for snacking all by themselves.  However, I figured they would be even BETTER paired with some other flavors.  I thought roasted zucchini would complement the sweetness of the tomatoes, and then I figured I could add some rice to make a lovely little salad.  This salad is a perfect display of late summer flavors, and it is DELICIOUS!  The salad can definitely be eaten cold, but I liked it a little bit better warm.  To prepare:

Whip up a batch of oven dried tomatoes (ok fine, you can't really "whip up" these tomatoes - so I suggest just keeping some around the house :) ).


You'll want the equivalent of about half a pint of tomatoes (based on uncooked volume).

To roast the zucchini, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. 

Dice up a large zucchini into bite-sized pieces (sorry, I didn't get a picture of this guy whole!). 




Spread the zucchini on a baking sheet.


Drizzle the zucchini with canola oil and salt, and rub the oil into the zucchini.  Cook in the preheated oven for about 40 minutes, or until the zucchini is tender.


When the zucchini is done, transfer it to a large pot over low heat (I was using a mixture of hot and cold ingredients, so I mixed everything in a pot so I could warm it all up together.  If you make all the components on the same day and have them all hot at the same time, then by all means just mix them in a bowl).


Add in the tomatoes and about a cup of cooked rice (or more or less, depending on your preference).


Stir well to combine, and cook until all components are heated through.  Taste and adjust seasoning.  At the last minute, finish the salad with a drizzle of good quality olive oil.


I would think this salad would also be delicious with tiny pasta or quinoa instead of rice, and topped with some lemon zest.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment