September 17, 2011

On the Table: Asian Fusion Eggplant

My go-to dish when ordering Chinese food for delivery is either eggplant with garlic sauce or Szechuan eggplant.  Usually, the dishes are made with Japanese eggplant, so I was super excited when I found Japanese eggplant at the farmers' market last week - I could try making a similar dish at home!  I did a little research, then came up with a Szechuan/Thai/quasi-Italian fusion dish based on the ingredients and tools I had at home.  If I dare say so, I think my dish may have been BETTER that what I get delivered!  To prepare:

Slice a whole bunch of eggplant (I had six) into one-inch diagonal pieces.





Dice up one small yellow onion and mince three cloves of garlic.

Put a 3.5 quart pot over medium/low heat and thinly coat the bottom of the pan with canola oil.  When the oil gets hot, add in the onion.  Cook, stirring often, until the onion becomes translucent.


Add in the garlic and cook for just another minute or so, until the garlic becomes very fragrant.


Add the eggplant to the pot.


Cook, stirring often, until the eggplant becomes tender.  While the eggplant is cooking, stir together the following in a bowl: one tablespoon of fish sauce; one tablespoon of soy sauce; two tablespoons of rice vinegar; two tablespoons of brown sugar; half a tablespoon of sriracha; two teaspoons of corn starch; one third of a cup of chicken stock; and salt and freshly ground black pepper.  When the eggplant is cooked, add the sauce to the pot.  Cook, stirring often, until the liquid comes to a simmer (the corn starch will thicken as the sauce gets hot).  Cook for several minutes, and taste and adjust seasoning.


Serve over rice.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment